Friday, February 20, 2009

Perspectives






In the late 60's there was a popular television show called The Land of the Giants It was about a group of space travelers who had the misfortune of landing on a planet where everything... surroundings and inhabitants .. were "super-sized". The giants diligently worked to seek, kill and destroy the wee ones.
When I first saw this picture, I thought of this short-lived series. Justin is obviously laying low in the rye field and his brother, Jordy, is looking larger than life. When my dad saw this picture on Justin's Flickr Web Page. he called it From An Ant's View. Okay, so possibly the ant has a telescope, but you get the idea.
Whether it be the perspective of the ant or the ill-begotten space traveler from the 60's, it's not a comfortable feeling to be looking in the nostrils of a "giant"; walking among giants is even more stressful. We have all experienced "giants" in our life. Sometimes we run from them, other times we face them head on. I've heard it said that giants are like life-storms ... we are either just coming out of one, in the middle of one or getting ready to enter one! Giants .... storms.... they are all around us. Delivered or devoured... which will it be?
It appears that each of us are facing a giant called "Recession". He seems be looming around every corner laughing in our face and talking behind our back. It appears he has stolen our money, our hopes and our dreams.... just watch the news. How long will this giant torment us? How much more devastation and heartbreak can he do? Does he really have the power to lick all the red off our sucker??
I don't know where all this will lead and how it will end. I do know that my perspective will make a difference as to whether or not I will worry or worship. I also know that God is sovereign... and is in total control of the universe. None of this has taken Him by surprise.

1 Samuel 15:34-37 David said, "I've been a shepherd, tending sheep for my father. Whenever a lion or bear came and took a lamb from the flock, I'd go after it, knock it down, and rescue the lamb. If it turned on me, I'd grab it by the throat, wring its neck, and kill it. Lion or bear, it made no difference—I killed it. And I'll do the same to this Philistine pig who is taunting the troops of God-Alive. God, who delivered me from the teeth of the lion and the claws of the bear, will deliver me from this Philistine." The Message

No comments:

Post a Comment