Saturday, January 22, 2011

Dusting Up Memories...

Jordy & Justin
It's Saturday and my delight is to clean my house this day. I am serious. It's my futile attempt at being a tiny "smidgen" of a Proverbs 31 gal. She had a clean house.. so shall I, at least one day of the week and that being Saturday.   I shall not worry about the other six days. (It's not like I'm home to see it..)

But today,  I clean.

I found a gift today. Yes, I often do when cleaning. Sometimes it's a nickel, dime, penny or a lost sock. Today, it was a memory. A memory of Christmas 2006 when I made an attempt at sharing my poetic flair with hubby's family.  But to quote my boys... it was in fact an .. epic fail.   My boys are naturals at evaluating my successes and failures.  I remember this particular "performance" was one that they didn't rate highly.. unless hiding under a table .. hiding behind their father ... rates a high mark.  Don't get me wrong... I truly believe they would have given me an "E" for effort, but I wasn't on my way to the Pulitzer Prize for Poetry.


I don't know.... maybe they  (the in-laws) enjoyed it.   I honestly don't recall a word being said after I read it.  Who knows?? But I remember feverishly penning these words.   And to find this poem appearing under my dresser.. (okay, remember I only clean one day a week with cleaning under the dresser every five years)... was like God's gift to me this day.  And it made me laugh.  I like laughing.  If you live with Justin and Jordy, you laugh.

It was Christmas 2006 (exactly five years since I had last been under the dresser.) Randall's brother, sister and their families joined us for a Christmas meal.   Now I'm no Paula Deene.... so I had to think of a clever way to masquerade my lack of culinary skill. My thinking went like this... "I'll make them feel special with a small gift!"  (Candles that smelled like fantastic flavors of ice cream) and a poem.  Certainly their feeling of "special" doesn't need to be linked to my cooking skills.  (And later you will see it didn't need to be linked to my writing skills.. oh my!)

I clearly remember reciting the poem.. handing out the candles.. and then thinking.. girlfriend, you are a dork.  If I could have crawled under the kitchen table I would have. (I clean under the kitchen table more often than under the dresser).

Oh well, it was a memory.  And as I re-read this poem, the "dork sensation" was still there .. but it felt good.  Not that I remember feeling and looking like a dork, or that I actually had people over for FOOD.... but that I had a longing for others to know.. what I know.  So here.. let me share this gift with you today. 

"From the Randall Tippins Family"  (okay, so I started out with a truly ridiculous title.   My family had nothing to do with the writing of this poem.. nor did they contribute to the purchase of the candles.  If I could go back.. I'd possibly change the title.)

Today is celebrated with family &  friends,
to what do we claim this day?
It's the mark of new beginnings 
2007 is on the way!

Enjoy your steak and potato...  (I told you I was no Paula Deene)
a little salad and garlic bread will do! (from a bag and a box..)
And have we mentioned the ice cream dessert in the freezer... (now that stuff was good.. no lie)
save some room.. your gonna want some too!

We hope you enjoy your present..
t'wis bought for this special day!
Lighting up a candle is simple..
But what does it truly say??

May the glow remind you of Moses ..
The man who spent time with God..
His face shone in brilliance ... 
causing people to run where he trod.


He covered his face in great reverence..
The people were trembling in fear
Our prayer for you .. spend time with God
and others will know who you've been near.

The scent of the candle is neat 
We sniffed each one with care...
Great news .. no need to worry.. 
no added weight anywhere!   (it was at this point I noticed my boys .. and their dad.. was distancing themselves from me!!)

Sweet aroma we should be to the masses
having a scent of Christ on us.
Now there's a wick with a hint of real sweetness..
will you join us on the glory bus?

(Official end of the poem.. now the closing.  My boys were under the table by this point... and what the heck is a glory bus anyway????)

Our prayer from our family  (this was so not true... they knew nothing of MY prayer) is that as each day passes and each year unfolds
that God bless you and brings you joy.
Thank you so much for coming and sharing this evening with us...
Randall, Jo Ellen, Justin, Jordy and Bandit
(.. we wish James, Robyn, Cady, Grace, Jacob & Ruby could have been here!)

Before you totally discount my writing skills, it should be noted that I had family pics all over the sheet of paper to enhance what was lacking in the poetic rhythm.

I laughed out loud upon ready this sing-songy effort of poetry in dead motion. I honestly think I've written better... maybe?? 

But nevertheless, my house is clean.. and I got to enjoy a memory of sharing a scent of ice cream and a taste of Truth.   It was a good laugh amongst the dust...

"When Moses came down from Mount Sinai, with the two tablets of the testimony in his hand as he came down from the mountain, Moses did not know that the skin of his face shone because he had been talking with God.  Aaron and all the people of Israel saw Moses, and behold, the skin of his face shone, and they were afraid to come near him. But Moses called to them, and Aaron and all the leaders of the congregation returned to him, and Moses talked with them. Afterward all the people of Israel came near, and he commanded them all that the Lord had spoken with him in Mount Sinai.  And when Moses had finished speaking with them, he put a veil over his face.  Whenever Moses went in before the Lord to speak with him, he would remove the veil, until he came out. And when he came out and told the people of Israel what he was commanded, the people of Israel would see the face of Moses, that the skin of Moses' face was shining. And Moses would put the veil over his face again, until he went in to speak with him."  Ex. 34:29-35



1 comment:

  1. Jo....I am sitting her all by myself, laughing out loud as I read this. AND I appreciate the poetry. Love that pic of Jody, Justin and the one of the duck. Love ya.

    ReplyDelete